Wednesday, December 31, 2008

New Year's Resolution

I'm making the leap.

I'm tired of Quicken.  I'm also tired of using Quicken plus two spreadsheets to keep track of money.  It's time to put my money where my mouth is and start using a different money management system.

I've spent a couple of hours messing around with MoneyWell.  Why MoneyWell?  Couple of reasons:
  1. It does the envelope method.  (MoneyWell calls them buckets instead of envelopes)
  2. It has a free trial, and the license costs $40 if I decide it's worth it (vs $60 for Quicken)
  3. It looks like they've got nice support (including video tutorials)
Even with the video tutorials, MoneyWell has taken some work getting started.  I've got a savings account where I keep money I'm accumulating for future expenses (everything from the cell phone bill to property tax), and it took some figuring to get that all set up with the proper amounts in each bucket.  I'll post more thoughts as I go along.

1 comment:

Chelsea said...

Hi Tom,

I tried leaving you a comment yesterday but for some reason it didn't seem to work. I see that you're unhappy with our decision to take more time before releasing Quicken Financial Life for Mac. We're committed to making Quicken Financial Life for Mac something discerning Mac users like you will enjoy using every day, which is why we had to take more time over releasing a product that isn't up to snuff yet.

If you're interested, I can get you demo access so you can try out the beta. Your passion for personal finance software is apparent, and your feedback in our beta stage would be appreciated. Let me know directly if you are interested.

- Chelsea, Quicken